WEDDINGTON CITIZENS BECOME INFORMED!
ON APRIL 28th WEDDINGTON Mayor Deter and Town Council members (Barbara Harrison and Mike Smith) voted as a majority to TERMINATE the fire Service Agreement with our 60 Year Old Weddington PVFD – Providence Volunteer Fire Dept.
Harrison and Smith also voted to hand over our entire Weddington Fire Service to neighboring fire district of Wesley Chapel VFD.
Citizens of Weddington this vote creates several issues for us and our surrounding neighbors in Western Union County!
- WHEN PVFD LEAVES Weddington –
- Providence- PVFD staffs 4 Certified, including 2 EMT’s firefighters 24/7/365. The new town contract with WCVFD does not require this level of service.
- We lose a DEBT FREE volunteer fire department that has been given high ratings by independent auditors for the departments accounting practices and procedures.
- ALL GONE – 3 Million dollars of taxpayer funded apparatus and equipment. Trucks that can shuttle 6000 gallons of water to fires anywhere in Union County.
- We lose 47 certified professional fire fighters and EMT’s. Their jobs GONE!
- We have no assurance from the State Fire Marshall what our new ISO ratings for insurance will be and how a change will affect our homeowner’s insurance costs.
- WCVFD (our NEW fire service provider) will have to depend on “Mutual aid” from stations in other communities at much further distances to our homes. (Waxhaw, Hemby Bridge, Mineral Springs, Stallings, Bakers, etc.). A fire doubles in size every minute.
- We lose a department with 60 years of dedicated service to our community with the BEST ISO Rating of any volunteer fire department in Union County.
- We have NO information from the Town of how Wesley Chapel VFD will “acquire” the Hemby Road fire station. It’s valued at approx. 1.6M. The Town has not been forthcoming on how they will handle this transaction.
PLEASE GET INVOLVED AND LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD! YOU WILL HAVE THE ABILITY TO SPEAK UP AT THIS MEETING! Stand up for PROVIDENCE VFD and our community.
ATTEND THE NEXT TOWN COUNCIL MEETING ON MONDAY MAY 11th, 7:00 PM.
1924 Weddington Road, Weddington, NC
LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD ABOUT THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE!
Monday night May 4th our Union County Board of County Commissioners passed a resolution unanimously asking Weddington Town Council to consider rescinding their vote to terminate the PVFD Contract. The Commissioners realize the safety impact of the town’s decision not just on Weddington, but our neighboring communities as well. Losing an ISO 4 rated debt free 60 year old fire company and all of its fire fighting apparatus and equipment would be a loss to all of Union County. (We thank the County Commissioners for this resolution and appreciate their service; unfortunately this resolution is just a request on this matter. Weddington Town Council has the final say on this vote).