ATTEND THE NEXT TOWN COUNCIL MEETING ON
MONDAY JUNE 8th, 7:00 PM.
1924 Weddington Road, Weddington, NC 28104
During public comments, let Mayor Deter, and councilmembers Smith and Harrison know how you feel about their actions to terminate our Weddington, PVFD (Providence Volunteer Fire Departments) contract.
Key Facts regarding the termination of PVFD as our fire service provider:
- On April 28, 2015, WEDDINGTON Mayor Deter and Town Council members (Barbara Harrison and Mike Smith) voted as a majority to TERMINATE the fire Service Agreement with our ISO rated 4, 60 Year Old PVFD – Providence Volunteer Fire Department.
- Harrison and Smith voted to hand over our Weddington Fire Service to neighboring Wesley Chapel VFD.
- May 4, 2015 the Union County Board of County Commissioners passed a resolution unanimously asking Weddington Town Council to consider rescinding their vote to terminate the PVFD Contract. The Commissioners realize the safety impact of the town’s decision not just on Weddington, but our neighboring communities as well. Losing an ISO 4 rated debt free 60 year old fire company and all of its firefighting apparatus and equipment would be a loss to all of Union County. (We thank the County Commissioners for this resolution and appreciate their service; unfortunately this resolution is just a request on this matter. Weddington Town Council has the final say on this vote).
- Monday May 11, 2015 Weddington Town Council meeting our citizens spoke out against the cancelation of PVFD contract. There was an hour and a half of angry citizen public comments regarding this issue.
- Hundreds of Weddington and County citizens have signed our on line petition, requesting the town reverse their decision. If you haven’t signed the petition go to www.providencevfd.com and add your support.
- June 2015, the PVFD attorney requested the town of Weddington to either reinstate the canceled fire service agreement or pay the $750,000.00 penalty for canceling the agreement without cause. (The Fire Service Agreement also required Weddington and PVFD to hold mediations, before the agreement is canceled).
- As of today, the PVFD ATTORNEY is pursuing all legal opportunities available.
WHEN PVFD LEAVES Weddington on July 29th, 2015 –
- Providence- PVFD staffs 4 Certified, including 2 EMT’s firefighters 24/7/365. The new town contract with WCVFD does not require this level of service.
- We lose a DEBT FREE volunteer fire department that has been given high ratings by independent auditors for the departments accounting practices and procedures.
- ALL GONE – 3 Million dollars of taxpayer funded apparatus and equipment. Trucks that can shuttle 6000 gallons of water to fires anywhere in Union County.
- We lose 47 certified professional fire fighters and EMT’s. Their jobs GONE!
- We have no assurance from the State Fire Marshall what our new ISO ratings for insurance will be and how a change will affect our homeowner’s insurance costs.
- WCVFD (our NEW fire service provider) will have to depend on “Mutual aid” from stations in other communities at much further distances to our homes. (Waxhaw, Hemby Bridge, Mineral Springs, Stallings, Bakers, etc.). A fire doubles in size every minute.
- Mayor Deter wants to sell our town owned Hemby Road station to WCVFD for less than its worth. The station is valued at approx. 1.6M. The mayor has mentioned selling the fire station at a loss to WCVFD at a price point of $500,000.00 to $750,000.00.
PVFD is now PRESELLING: SUPPORTER OF PVFD “T SHIRTS” for $12.00 go to www.providencevfd.com
This is OUR TOWN, and we need to take it back. Come out Monday June 8th to the next council meeting and stand up for PROVIDENCE VFD and our Weddington community.